Tuesday, November 2, 2010

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2010

After a long weekend of hanging out with John (although he got out of town last Friday) and Logan, going on the boat, boogie boarding on the beach, checking out the Jensen bar scene, relaxing by the pool, eating Cuban food at the most famous Cuban restaurant in Little Havana, Miami, and being treated to the most expensive Halloween night out (cover was $30... PER PERSON at the Mansion in South Beach, Miami), I was forced to drive my boyfriend back to the airport this morning and accept that the rest of the day would be spent in my cubicle...and trying to get Carol to eat dinner. While I was at work Cynthia brought Carol to visit Tom and asked if I would like her to bring over her trailer some time to get the rest of the stuff to fill his new bachelor pad. Up until now I have been able to pass the task of visiting my grandfather off without me ever getting involved, so I haven't seen the place. Thoughts on moving more furniture in...people who have been there...? You guys didn't inform me you got him set up in a palace. The way Cynthia was talking about the place, I thought she might plan on moving her whole family in there. Let me know.
Cynthia says that Tom seems really lost and wanted to know when he got to go home, but didn't seem angry or on edge about it. Carol was doing really well with Cynthia from what I saw, which was about ten minutes when they got home at 6:30, but she hasn't been consistent with her eating. On Sunday Logan made Mahi Mahi and chicken tacos and Carol kept grabbing more and more, but yesterday we asked her if she wanted tai food (described finally by Logan as healthy lo mien), but she said she'd be fine with left-overs (to the word "healthy" she revolted). She pulled out two plates of left-overs, tacos and her KFC pop-corn chicken from Sunday, but when we got back I saw that she just combined the two plates into a higher stacked plate and put it back in the fridge. She didn't come out again. After Cynthia left today she asked if I was hungry, I said yes, thinking we would figure out dinner together, but she just handed me a cheeseburger from McDonald's that I'm sure Cynthia bought for her. I told her that it was her burger and I was in the mood for a salad anywho. She didn't think she was hungry and went to her room and hasn't come out in about 3 hours. As far as I can tell, she's eaten Halloween candy all day, and not much of it. Which reminds me to also tell you that she hasn't been acting panicked or crying, except on Sunday (Halloween) when a child came to the door and she didn't have candy to give him (how this is possible...?) and she told me that his dad got "really mad at her." I told her that the child will probably receive tons more candy and we can just go to the store and get more for the children that come later and she told me through sobs that she thinks of ALL the kids as her kids...OK. So we ran over to the gas station to grab some candy to get us through until Logan and I went to get groceries later, and she was fine. Then when we finally did go get groceries I got a little apprehensive myself because there were LOTS of kids in the neighborhood. More than our trivial about of gas candy could supply. I rushed Logan through his fish and salsa, etc purchases, loaded candy in the cart and we raced home. I saw the candy was no longer near the door and so I asked Carol how it was going. She told me that some kids came and she didn't have candy (seemed way more relaxed about it) and we told her we now had plenty! Waves of kids came to the door all night-I don't think I've ever been the sole candy-hander-out person before-but later on I looked in the trash to find wrappers of the gas station candy in the trash...

Pinapple Fest in Jensen Beach this weekend! So, if anyone knows of any children around the age of 4 and 5 who like carnivals and live in Florida, you should let them know about it. Big bonus if the parents' names both start with J and they want to take the boat out with their awesome neice!

2 comments:

  1. So Carol has moved on from donuts and cookies to Halloween candy. Heaven help her because now it's all on sale!
    I went to the Emeritus website and took the virtual tour of the Jensen Beach home. It IS a palace. Looks like a fancy hotel lobby to me.
    It's good that Tom isn't angry. When I asked for prayers at church Sunday, several people told me there are phases that folks go through, just like grieving. I'm going to research that one.
    You never said whether the cover was worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover was worth it but he paid for everything. The only times I can think of in the past 4 years that Logan has paid for me happen to land on my birthday or valentines day, so that added to the specialness of the occasion.
    I can't speak really about Tom because I haven't seen him, but Carol's coping scares me a little. I wonder if there's a support group of people in that situation? Maybe Dona being back will be enough.

    ReplyDelete